Dreaded 'Ink Cartridge Error Replace Cartridge' on Epson 3880 Lt. Cyan

The Lt. Cyan cartridge does not want to be accepted by the printer. It is the 4th of a set to be installed. I have tried the paper wedge with no success (it has worked with Lt. Magenta). I have removed and examined both chips and can see no discernable damage. It appears the pins are not bent and are making contact. Am I now to reset the printer somehow? Or get new chips? Please advise.

Thanking you in advance.

Daniel

Hi Daniel~

I moved your thread to refillable carts for pro model printers.

When you install the LC refill cartridge, what does the LCD panel say before closing the cartridge bay door?
Are you using OEM chips from your empty Epson carts, or did you get a set of OEM chips?

Please let me know so I can help.
Thanks~ Dana

‘Ink Cartridge Error Replace Cartridge’ I am using an OEM Chip from the empty Epson cartridge.

Ink Cover Open Close the Ink Cover just after I install the cartridge but before i close the door. On closing the door I get the ‘Ink Cartridge Error Replace Cartridge’

I’ve experienced that. Make sure the removable chip is firmly attached. Sometimes the pogo pins push the chip up and it loses contact. I’ve taken to taping them down, which is challenging in itself, since you have to fold the tape into that slot. Give that a try…hope it works for you.

38XX “80ml” refill cart reset chip check:
The plastic base of every 3880 reset chip should have three small plastic tabs around the side that hold it onto the cartridge. If any of these tabs are broken or bent inward, the chip will not stay secured to the cartridge, therefore not have a good connection with the Epson chip underneath, which will cause an error. Also, on the back of every reset chip, there should be three metal pins that stick out and touch the Epson chip- the three pins should be equal length for proper contact with the Epson chip. Please check the plastic base to make sure there are three plastic tabs, and if they are all in place, gently bend them outward slightly to ensure they catch and hold onto the cartridge. Also check to make sure the three metal pins are present and equal length. On the front of the chips, please check the gold contacts to make sure nothing is on the contacts that would interfere with the printer’s ability to read it- if you see anything on the gold contacts, gently clean them with either an alcohol pad or pencil eraser. After checking all these things, push the reset chips back onto their corresponding cartridges and make sure they are pushed all the way onto the cart for a good connection with the Epson chip, then reinsert the cartridges into your printer and see how the printer responds.

Dana, the pins are in order, the tabs are present and secure, the contacts have been cleaned. Personally, I suspect I damaged the Epson chip when I removed it from the Epson cartridge. Under a magnifier I can see a scratch in one of the gold contacts, and whether I also then cut the thin lead I do not know. Do you sell Epson cartridge chips or am I out of luck and will need to buy another Epson cartridge?

Dana, the pins are in order, the tabs are present and secure, the contacts have been cleaned. Personally, I suspect I damaged the Epson chip when I removed it from the Epson cartridge. Under a magnifier I can see a scratch in one of the gold contacts, and whether I also then cut the thin lead I do not know. Do you sell Epson cartridge chips or am I out of luck and will need to buy another Epson cartridge?

I received your first message, but have been doing other things, so can’t always respond right away- no need to repost, I know you’re waiting…

No, we don’t sell individual Epson chips (only as sets). Do you still have your Epson LC cart that you took the chip off? If so, carefully reattach the chip to the cart, making sure it’s flat/flush, and reinsert the LC cart with OEM chip attached to see how the printer responds.

Please let me know~ Dana

Sorry about the double post. I didn’t mean to irritate you. I am new around here. I checked around the University at the Art Department and found a dead Epson Light Cyan cartridge. I took off the chip and tried it here at my home studio. It worked! All is well currently. Thank you for your concern. Daniel

Thanks for the update Daniel~

I’m glad to hear you located another LC Epson chip, and it’s working now!

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: