Piezography SE K7 - MK/Neutral Shade 1 - Neutral Shade 6 - BLUISH HUE in bottle/carts

Aloha,

RE: Piezography Special Edition K7 inks Bluish hue in bottles/carts: Matte Black/Neutral Shade 1, Neutral Shade 6

I’m currently installing new carts and a fresh set of Piezography Special Edition K7 inks (Matte) in my 7800 printer.
I noticed a bluish hue in Matte/Neutral Shade 1 and Neutral Shade 6.
Is the bluish hue normal to this set of inks?
I didn’t notice it in any of the SE K7 ink sets prior to this.

Photo 1 below:
Bottles: Neutral Shade 6 is noticeably blue in the bottle and actually left a blue stain, Matte/Neutral Shade 1 is not noticeably blue in the bottle as it is installed in the cart.

Photo 2 below:
Carts: Neutral Shade 6 - bluish hue not very noticeable in cart as it was in bottle.
Matte/Neutral Shade 1 - bluish hue in cart is noticeable, but not in bottle. (no photo, couldn’t capture the dark blue color effectively)

Any advice is appreciated! :slight_smile:

Kind regards, Carl

Hi Carl,
This is considered normal for our newest formulation of NU inks, we also noticed this happening before we released this ink into the market. We tested and tested and tested again to make sure this particular phenomenon didn’t affect the color output of this ink set. This is how we explain:

Our pigment inks are encapsulated and one of the functions of encapsulation is to prevent pigment particles from attracting one another by static charge. The other by product of encapsulation is a superior suspension when shaken. Each of the individual pigments have different charge properties and the goal is to disperse these different pigments separately but equally. When this is perfected it should be possible to drop the ink onto a paper towel and watch the pigment separate into rings. Likewise, when the ink remains unshaken the pigments will disperse into separate layers in the bottle. Simply shaking the ink will re-disperse the pigments into equal suspension.

So, what you are seeing is completely normal and nothing to be alarmed about, funny enough, it is actually a good thing!
Kindly,
Kelly

Good day Kelly,

Thank you for the explanation, good to know that you are always striving for better formulations of inks!

Kind regards,
Carl

I had asked about this in another thread or two and didn’t get a reply. Kelly’s reply above helps me understand what I was seeing, in part. I think there’s a little more to the story, which I think is that only the carbon inks are their natural colour - warm. To get neutral something must be added to cool them, and that’s what you’re seeing - shades 1, 6, 7 are neutral in many of the inksets. I have no idea about selenium, but I guess it must contain something similar to get the tone. The new formulation makes it easer to see what has been added to achieve neutral.

It is a bit disconcerting to see the blue separate out if it’s dropped on plain paper. Something similar happened when I accidentally printed on the wrong (uncoated) side of some paper once. I wonder what happens if someone was to print on an uncoated paper, but it’s not something that I intend to use.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your input.
I’ve been using K7 inks since it’s debut (Neutral K7) and since had fallen in love with Carbon (a.k.a. Sepia) and Selenium K7 inks. I don’t know the chemistry behind their inks, but as Kelly mentioned, it is completely normal.
I just love these inks on HaPR!

Kind regards,
Carl