Solved: First Time Refilling-Priming Question

Hi
I just loaded my first refillable cartridge for the 3880(80 Ml). After two attempts at priming with no ink coming back into the syringe, I loaded the cartridge into my printer and everything seems OK, i.e. Panel shows full cartridge, and the nozzle check prints OK. Is this OK, or will I do damage to my printer with an improperly primed cartridge? Should I remove the cartridge and try again.
Thanks for the help
Gary

For the best ink flow, the refillable cartridges must be primed with ink before installing into your printer. How did you attempt to prime this cart- using the syringe + priming tip thru the exit channel as per the written instructions, or thru the side port as demonstrated in our video? Did you remove the orange plug from the air inlet point before priming the cartridge? How much ink did you fill the cartridge with?

Please let me know so I can help you resolve this and get back to happily printing.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;641]For the best ink flow, the refillable cartridges must be primed with ink before installing into your printer. How did you attempt to prime this cart- using the syringe + priming tip thru the exit channel as per the written instructions, or thru the side port as demonstrated in our video? Did you remove the orange plug from the air inlet point before priming the cartridge? How much ink did you fill the cartridge with?

Please let me know so I can help you resolve this and get back to happily printing.
Best regards~ Dana :)[/QUOTE]

Hi Dana
I tried to prime the cartridge thru the side port(where the arrow is pointing) with the syringe(without needle) as is done in the video. Like the video I didn’t remove the orange plug until after I tried the priming.

Thanks for any help
Gary

[QUOTE=fotogary;642]Hi Dana
I tried to prime the cartridge thru the side port(where the arrow is pointing) with the syringe(without needle) as is done in the video. Like the video I didn’t remove the orange plug until after I tried the priming.

Thanks for any help
Gary[/QUOTE]
Forgot to mention that I loaded 70ml(as per video) into the cartridge.

Gary

Gary,

I have two 3880’s. When I initially fill a brand new cart, one that’s never been used before and still has the plastic seal over the output port, after putting the 70ml of ink into the cart I: 1) remove the syringe needle and tightly affix the syringe itself to the fill port, 2) using the syringe I draw a vacuum (about 30-40ml of pull on the syringe) on the cart via the fill port and then slowly release it back into the cart a few times (3 times), 3) remove the syringe, 4) replace the fill port plug, and, then 5) test the prime port as Dana shows in the video. As I draw and release the vacuum with the syringe via the fill port, I can see the priming sections on the cart (looks like there are two of them in the lower mid section of the cart) fill with small amounts of ink. By doing this, I always get a great prime on the initial filling of brand new, unused carts.

(Dana… if any of this is bad advice, feel free to delete this post and let me know. :sunglasses:

John

Hi Gary~ Thanks for the additional information. Priming a 38xx refillable cartridge may be slightly easier with the orange plug removed and air inlet point open, but you should have no problems priming the cartridge with the orange plug on the cart as demonstrated in our video… Is there NO ink at all in the two exit chambers of the cartridge after attempting to prime it? Have you tried placing the cartridge upright and priming with the priming tip attached to the syringe by following the priming procedure in our written instructions? Have you tried filling + priming any other refill carts?

Hi Dana
Does this mean I should remove the cartridge from the printer and try priming it again, or leave it( as John suggests) and assume,because of the good nozzle check that all is well?
This is my first attempt at installing a refillable cartridge.

Thanks for the input

Gary

I have never tried vacuum filling these carts as John outlined, though it sounds like it would work as yet another way to fill + prime the carts.

If there is NO ink in the exit chambers of this refill cart, then you should not rely on the current nozzle check, because it’s printing the ink that is already in the lines, but the section of air from the empty exit chambers will be drawn into the printer and interrupt your ink flow when it reaches the damper + head. I am also concerned that something may not be right with this cartridge, as you should not have any problem priming it to get ink in the exit chambers- so feel this step should be corrected before continuing. Is there NO ink at all in the two exit chambers of the cartridge after attempting to prime it (and after doing some printing with the cart installed in your printer)? Have you tried placing the cartridge upright and priming with the priming tip attached to the syringe by following the priming procedure in our written instructions?

Please let me know so I can help sort this out for you.
Thanks- Dana :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;658]I have never tried vacuum filling these carts as John outlined, though it sounds like it would work as yet another way to fill + prime the carts.

If there is NO ink in the exit chambers of this refill cart, then you should not rely on the current nozzle check, because it’s printing the ink that is already in the lines, but the section of air from the empty exit chambers will be drawn into the printer and interrupt your ink flow when it reaches the damper + head. I am also concerned that something may not be right with this cartridge, as you should not have any problem priming it to get ink in the exit chambers- so feel this step should be corrected before continuing. Is there NO ink at all in the two exit chambers of the cartridge after attempting to prime it (and after doing some printing with the cart installed in your printer)? Have you tried placing the cartridge upright and priming with the priming tip attached to the syringe by following the priming procedure in our written instructions?

Please let me know so I can help sort this out for you.
Thanks- Dana :)[/QUOTE]

Hi Dana
I just tried re-priming the cartridge with the orange plug off and having the cartridge sit upright. Worked with the first pull of the syringe. So does that mean that in the future I should always prime the cartridges this way?
Thank you for all your good advice
Gary
www.garysoskin.ch

Fantastic news Gary- I’m glad to hear you were able to successfully prime your cart! :slight_smile:

Let me give you some background info, to clarify why there are two different priming procedures for the 3800/3880 carts. When we first got these carts, the manufacturer’s (limited) instructions said to prime the carts thru the exit channel side port (as demonstrated in our video), which worked pretty well. Around the same time, we were testing many other carts (we are constantly researching + testing- to ensure we have the best available products on the market), and have always known about the importance of priming carts before installing for the best ink flow. We discovered the priming tips that go on the end of a slip-tip syringe while working with other model carts, and tested this tool/procedure on the 38xx carts as well. We feel this priming tool/method is easier, quicker, and has less chance of a possible ink mess- so updated the written instructions and began including the priming tips with the carts. We have not yet had time to update our video, and although it can be a bit confusing that our video and written instructions don’t have the same priming procedure, both procedures do work well and either can be used, but we do plan to (as soon as we have the time) update the video to match the written instructions priming procedure.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: