Digital Negative for PT/Pd with K6 selenium Ink Kit for Epson 1430

I would like to know which curve I should use in QuadToneRIP to print digital negative on Pictorico OHP. I am using Windows not Mac, so the file Install1430-PiezoDN=1400.command doesn’t work. I just can’t find the right curve to print on Pictorico.

Thanks

Change the name to: Install1500-PiezoDN=1400.command

Guy,

Just in caseWe only support Pictorico OHP Ultra Premium.

The regular Pictorico OHP will pool the inks. We do not support the regular Pictorico OHP.

I am not sure that the “command” file works on PC. It should have an other type of extension like “.exe”

Hello Jon,

I am a little puzzled. I just bought an Epson 1430 to make digital negative for my Pt/Pd prints. Now, I find out that it is not so easy to use the selenium K6 ink for my negatives. I choose the printer and those inks after asking advices from Walker. All I need is to use a curve to print on Pictorico. I will build a contrast curve in Photoshop as I did before for my Pt/Pd prints.
So I only need a curve to print and start my own calibration. Please can you confirm that it is possible to use my Epson 1430 and the selenium kit to make my digital negative? By the way, I work on a PC.

Thank you very much!

It was originally developed on the Epson 1430. So you can use it. And it was originally developed with Selenium inks - so you can use those. Perfect! I think Walker may be confusing you with another customer who is trying to install on the EU version of the 1430 which is called the 1500W. So that may suggest that your printer can not be used.

I mentioned to you that we do not support Pictorico OHP Film, we only support Pictorico OHP Ultra Premium Film.

You bought a set of inks, but you did not purchase the PiezoDN software. In the product information page for your ink set we mention PiezoDN software system must be purchased separately. PiezoDN requires QuadTone RIP which must be purchased separately. At minimum you need QTR software and you must download our Piezography Community Edition which you can downloadhere. That will give you a base curve and you can forge ahead on your own if you wish. But, the PiezoDN software is only $75. It does require a Spectrophotometer, but we also include tools for using a scanner to measure, or for using your eyes… Of course, Spectro is precise. A scanner much less so, and how can I comment on your vision… but I would not use mine unless I could not afford the scanner.

Certainly please read about PiezoDN on the PiezoDN site because it has its own support forum which is frequented by some of the best Pt/Pd printmakers in the world! Huge knowledge base there and everyone is sharing!!!

Hope this makes full sense to you.

best,

Jon

Hello Jon,

I have already the QuadToneRIP software installed. I also already downloaded The Piezography Community Edition. I have an old but fine Spectrometer (X-Rite model 301) and an Epson perfection V700 scanner. So I am ready but my problem is to find the right curve1 for the QTR program. When I chose the printer model “1430-PiezoDN” it tells me that “1430-PiezoDN PPD file not found”. Walker told me to double-click on the “Install1430-PiezoDN=1400.command” file, but this type of file doesn’t work on a PC (Windows). So I have to find a curve1 elsewhere.

Basically, my 2 questions are: What printer model should I choose in the QTR program and then, what is the “Curve1” should I select? I think that some files may be missing in the PC version of the “The Piezography Community Edition” and this is why I can’t find the right “Curve1” in the QTR interface.

I hope that I was clear enough because “English” is not my usual language. I am from Quebec and I speak French.

Thank you very much for your help. I am so eager to start my tests.

Best

Guy

Dear Guy.

You need to download the PiezoDN edition zip file for the PC from this page: http://piezography.com/downloads/piezodn/ You have received a login email for piezography.com (your email address) along with a new password link.

Install the PiezoDN curves into the 1430-K6 folder on the PC and follow the instructions for “getting started printing” in the manual (there are PC version instructions there).

FYI: To install a curve on a PC, these are the instructions: http://piezography.com/install-delete-quadtonerip-curves/

Please log into the private forum for PiezoDN support here: http://piezography.com/forum/piezodn/ for further questions.

All the best,
Walker

Hello Walker,

I haven’t bought the PiezoDN software yet. Since it is a Beta version for PC, I preferred to wait. I thought that it was possible to get a “Curve1” for the QTR interface without having to purchase the PiezoDN software. Because all I want to do is to be able to print on Pictorico Ultra OHP.

I do not have the password to get the piezodn downloads. So my question is: Is it possible to print on Pictorico without using the PiezoDN software. If yes, what is the “curve1” I should use?

By the way, this is a more than excellent customer service and I will check your answer tomorrow.

Many thanks!

The only reason it is beta is that there are some screen-shots and documentation we have to finish. Functionally it is working perfectly. I would call it “Gold Master” really, but I don’t want to raise expectations.

I suggest purchase of the product.

best,
Walker

Hello Walker,

So if I understand well, it is impossible to use the Epson 1430 printer and the Selenium Ink for digital negatives if I do not buy the PiezoDN program because there is no curves available for free. I am a bit surprised that no” Curve1” for the QTR program is available for this purpose.
If I had known this, I would have delayed my purchase of ink.

Best

Hello Jon,
You tell me that I can start using my printer and inks and that “I can forge ahead on my own if I wish”, but the question I am asking from the beginning is with which “Curve 1” should I start my calibration. I have a printer and inks that cannot yet be used because I still do not know which “Curve 1” to use. With the exchange rate, it’s almost $ 1,000 that I invest in this process (Printer, inks and films) without being able to use it yet. It’s pretty frustrating. You will understand why I still hesitate to invest more to get the PiezoDN program.
Thank you

The PiezoDN system ($75.00 US) includes the curves and the manuals and instructions for getting started + free updates for life. We consider it a very good value. It also includes access to the private support forum at piezography.com that has a whole host of very knowledgable people who use the system and can help you through the process. This is critical. So, asking for support on a system that you have not finished purchasing on a forum that is not meant to support that customer-type is not the way to go about it exactly.

Your assumption that somehow PiezoDN curves would be free when we very clearly say that they are for sale was the stumbling block here. If you purchase and download PiezoDN you will have access to the PiezoDN documentation inside of the Piezography Deluxe Manual, the curves, access to a private forum, actual getting-started instructions for the 1430, and much more.

best,
Walker

Hello Walker,

I never assumed that the curves related to PiezoDN would be free. All I wanted was a “Curve 1” which would allow me to print on the Pictorico film in order to do some tests. With the amount of curves available, I thought there was at least one curve that would allow me to print on film (Ex . K6-2880-EpEnhancedMatte )

I will take some time to familiarize myself with my printer and think if I go ahead with buying PiezoDN in January.

I would like to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

[QUOTE=GuyTremblay;12471]Hello Jon,
You tell me that I can start using my printer and inks and that “I can forge ahead on my own if I wish”, but the question I am asking from the beginning is with which “Curve 1” should I start my calibration. I have a printer and inks that cannot yet be used because I still do not know which “Curve 1” to use. With the exchange rate, it’s almost $ 1,000 that I invest in this process (Printer, inks and films) without being able to use it yet. It’s pretty frustrating. You will understand why I still hesitate to invest more to get the PiezoDN program.
Thank you[/QUOTE]

Guy, we are not saying you can not start using your printer. But, as Walker mentioned to you, you bought an ink set that requires the use of PiezoDN software. We think that you should calibrate your system using it.

What you are asking us for is a starting curve1 for use with QTR Curves Tool so you can calibrate using QTR Curves Tool. QTR Curves Tool is free and part of your QTR download which you licensed from QuadTone RIP and is supported by QTR.

[ul]
[li]The QTR Curve Tool uses .qdif curves. QDIF curves are not compatible with PiezoDN software.[/li][li]QDIF files can only be made and edited with the QTR Curves Tool.[/li][li]We do not use the QTR Curves Tool and we can not produce QDIF files for you.[/li][li]What PiezoDN software produces are .quad files.[/li][li]QUAD files are not compatible with and can not be edited nor adjusted with the QTR Curves Tool.[/li][/ul]

So, we can not give you what you are asking. What you are asking for is something that you need to make yourself and then continue using the free tools to calibrate with.

With PiezoDN software, you will
[ol]
[li]determine your optimum exposure using a blank piece of Pictorico OHP Ultra Premium film. You can not use any other film of your choice if you are going to use the PiezoDN software because PiezoDN software produces .quad curves in which the ink output is too great for any other film.[/li][li]Then you will print a PiezoDN film target using a PiezoDN base .quad curve and contact print it to determine if you need to limit the dynamic range of the output.[/li][li]Then you will print a PiezoDN film target and contact print it and measure it using a Spectrophotometer (a scanner or your eye are other less desirable (because they are not as accurate) measuring devices that we support).[/li][li]The measurements are put into one of the PiezoDN software tools to create your FINAL curve. You would then at that time be calibrated and linear.[/li][li]On OS X you can option to make a linear output curve that matches your screen display by creating an ICC profile to use in combination with the .quad final curve. Windows version of QTR can not print with an ICC profile so this is not an option on Windows.[/li][li]On OS X or Windows, you can option to use another PiezoDN tool that can create a creative intent (from you) that is incorporated into a linearization curve that includes that creative intent. The creative intent would be derived from making a Photoshop Adjustment Curve that influences how an image appears on your display (e.g. high contrast, or very flat contrast, or any curve that you imagine… this curve is not applied in Photoshop but transposed into the PiezoDN software to inform the linearization tool of your creative intent when it produces a .QUAD file.[/li][/ol]

If you forge ahead on your own - you will need to rely on the author of the QTR Curves Tool or and the QTR Community that uses the QTR Curves Tool and they are numerous and you will find that some of them are making digital negatives. This is not done because of value. Your hours and learning curve will be steep and long. It is done purely for the satisfaction of using the QTR Curves Tool and knowing you made your own. The standard produced by this tool set are not at the Piezography standard. But the inks you use will give you substantially greater benefits than those using QTR Curves Tool and Epson blacks and color inks to make their negatives. Those benefits include absence of digital artifacts, smoothness, higher acuity, greater shadow and highlight separation, tens of thousands more gray levels.

I hope that we have now adequately explained to you why we believe PiezoDN is a requirement for use with the PiezoDN digital negative system.

best,

Jon

Hello Jon,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond with so many details. I had already done a linearization in Photoshop inspired by the methods of Ron Reeder and Dan Burkholder. I used to have my digital negatives printed by a colleague. All worked quite well except that the quality of the digital negatives was not up to the original (digital artifacts, smoothness, acuity, etc.). That’s why I wanted to try the products offered by Piezography on my new printer.
I will most likely buy the software in January.

Thank you very much and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!