Piezography Workshops at Cone Editions Press!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vertical Lines Showing up in 4880

Vertical Lines Showing up in 4880

Hi There,

I have had a 4880 for years now and until very recently did not use the printer a lot.
    We have now been putting the printer through its paces and have been using it for production of album spreads.
    I have noticed that the flushing box assembly and the pump cap assembly have gotten pretty dirty. I do clean periodically with Piezo Flush to keep them maintained.
    Two questions when is it time or when can you know to replace these 2 items?

Secondly I started to get vertical banding in my prints. In the past I normally perform a head alignment once or twice and then I am good to go. Not so. I keep on getting the vertical banding returning after doing the alignment and then maybe printing one spread.

Thoughts?

Thanks

William

First question: Every 3 years if the unit is regularly cleaned (but I suggest buying a backup now just in case).

Second question: This could be a few different things, but did you do a manual head alignment? The sensor on the head carriage that measures for the auto-head alignment gets dirty over time.

best,
    Walker

How do I do a manual alignment?

On the printer's control panel under >Head Alignment you should see a "manual all" selection.

best,
    Walker

Thanks walker and then just follow the instructions or anything else I need to know?

I think you're all set!

Let me know how the head align goes.

best,
    Walker

HI Walker

That worked like a charm!....For six or so 25" prints and then the lines come back. Never had this happen to me before. Usually the Auto head adjustments do the trick. I did the manual and for a bit it was fine then it comes back. Any thoughts?

I tried cleaning and then turning off HS and that seemed to help a bit.

Update - went to do another Auto Head Alignment and got this message: "Auto Adjustment Error - Change Paper Type"

Two suggestions:

1. Always print UniDirectional (it's slow but dependable).
    2. Do a manual UniD head alignment.

This should fix it permanently. If not, then you have a problem with your encoder strip sensor on the print head carriage.

best,
    Walker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast