7900 Horizontal banding

Horizontal banding just started on a 7900 (<600 pages printed) unless I print at 2880dpi. I have performed both auto and manual head alignment, cleaned heads (regular & power cycles), have a good nozzle test, tried slower and faster page feed (no effect). Happens with both roll and sheet paper and regardless of black ink (PK or MK) used. Both BW and Color prints show banding. The LLK pattern on the manual BI-D alignment check had a blank stripe in the middle. Could this head be the culprit? I am about to purchase more of your ink and am wondering if that is a wise decision. Advice welcomed.

I should add that I followed Dana’s excellent cleaning steps and cleaned the capping station, print head and installed a new wiper assembly. Until this started the 1400dpi setting produced fabulous prints. The banding is dark, rather than light and is faint, but noticeable.

This is a head issue most likely as it’s starting in the middle of the nozzle check. As you have printed with it already, most likely the nozzles have been burnt out. With this head, printing w/ clogged nozzles quickly leads to burned out nozzles.

PiezoFlush will not fix the issue. The head is dead. Is the printer still under warranty?

Sorry for the bad news,
Walker

sadly this printer is long out of warranty…

I think that my best alternatives are a head replacement or finding a 7880 to replace it. Do you have any recommended resources for either?

7880s are like gold these days because they never die.

I suggest checking the garage sale at Epson Wide Format EpsonWideFormat@groups.io | Home or ebay, etc.

If it’s only 1 channel, this printer is a good candidate for Piezography Pro which actually doesn’t kill modern heads at all (way way smaller particles that any color ink even Epson OEM which has the largest). If you post your 7900 printer on Epson Wide Format garage sale section (for free pickup or a good price) someone would surely snap it up quickly for Piezography.

best,
Walker

sadly this printer is long out of warranty…

I think that my best alternatives are a head replacement or finding a 7880 to replace it. Do you have any recommended resources for either?

Hi Walter,

I appreciate all of your help & knowledge regarding the Epson 7900.

May I send you 2 scanned sample images and a nozzle check to confirm the horizontal banding I see?

Thank you,
Bob

Please. I just emptied by private message inbox so feel free to re-send. (My inbox gets filled quickly sorry.)

best,
Walker

sent you a PM - thank you, WAlker