Changing ink selector unit before trying to revive a 9900 with Piezoflush?

I’ve been donated a 9900 that has been sitting in storage for over a year with orange and green completely clogged. Possibly more. I have yet to pick it up.

I’d like to try reviving it with PiezoFlush. Load it up with carts, run two initial charges, let it sit a day or two, then see what happens when I print nozzle checks.

Do you advise changing the ink selector unit, as well as the pump & cap assy and the wiper blade, before trying this in case the dampers are all gummed up after a year in storage being unused? I would consider converting it in a Piezography printer if enough channels are working, so the parts would not entirely be wasted.

the dampers on this printer are pretty well sealed but you should totally change the pump-cap assembly and if you have the dough, do the dampers as well.

You need to ask the donator if all the other channels worked perfectly. If they had gaps in them they could be burned and you would be throwing money away on the printer. If all channels besides Or/Gr work perfectly, it will be viable, but not if they have nozzles out. That is a hard thing to verify without spending money, but if the previous owner has an old nozzle check lying around . . .

-Walker

If I changed the printhead too, would this make it a completely refurbished unit? (pump-cap assy, dampers, printhead)?

because even after replacing all these parts, the cost in the end would be much, much less than a new P9000, not to mention the long-term cost of owning a P9000 since as far as I know, 3rd party carts can’t reset, so are unusable. I’m in Canada, to give you an idea, the cost of acquiring a new P9000 is $6400CAD plus $2390CAD for a new set of ink. Total acquisition cost of a P9000: $8790CAD.

I’d rather refurb a lightly used 9900 if it’s a viable option, and it would run me less than a third of that. Now that I have a 4900 too and they share the same ink, it would immensely simplify my workflow and allow me to purchase bigger bottles too, so more savings.

Right now my plan is to change the pump-cap assy and dampers, do a piezoflush and see if the printhead can be restored, if not change that and try to get another 3 years out of it. Unicorn? Realistic?

Those three units are basically the only things in the printer that die with use so yeah, you would essentially have a new printer if you replace all 3.

best,
Walker

I picked up the 9900 today. What a big sucker.

The cap-assy was already changed, the owner gave me the old one, but not the ink selector.

Considering the low cost of the part I may just switch it over again since I can’t be sure when it was changed.

Can the ink lines gum up?

Late reply: no, the lines really won’t gum up unless there was some horrible solution of the ink or air bubbles throughout the ink that were sitting for years. Sitting in a hot desert would do it too, but in general no.

-Walker