Solved: Epson 1400 ink bleed, and cartridge apparently won't reset

Hi. My Epson 1400 recently began bleeding ink into the paper exit area during a nozzle check and clean sequence. I removed a couple of covers to see if the waste ink tubes might be clogged, and managed to get them to conduct ink during a clean sequence without more bleeding occurring, so I think the waste ink pads must not be full. But just then the printer’s ink light went on indicating an empty yellow cartridge. After refilling the cartridges, the printer continues to indicate yellow as empty. Cleaning the chip contacts does not remedy it, and the printer’s contact prongs appear to be in good condition and alignment, so I suspect the yellow cartridge chip may have died (it is a factory-attached chip, not a removable type). Do I simply need a new set of cartridges, or might this be a printer problem? I’d hate to order a new set of cartridges and a waste ink tank only to find that the printer itself is kaput!

Also, while I have your attention, could you tell me when InkThrift inks might be available for the 1400, and whether you will offer a CIS option for them? I would rather go that route than to reorder refillable cartridges, if it is to be available reasonably soon. Thanks!

The new InkThrift CL is a new formulation that is more light resistant than InkThrift PRO for LF printers. We will have the CL system for nearly all Claria compatible printers. Rather than a CIS or refillable carts, we will offer a new concept which is an auto-reset chip frame with replaceable ink tanks. The ink tanks hold a full charge of ink. When they empty, you replace and the chip auto-resets. You can also refill the tanks if you choose to.

You did not mention if you attempted to reset the chip with a manual chip resetter. Your cartridges are more than two years old and it is entirely possible that a chip wears out. Unfortunately, you can NOT use a chip from an Epson 1400/1430 cartridge (you can with most other models, but not this one).

I am more concerned about the ink bleeding onto the paper exit area. And you did not mention if you routinely cleaned the waste ink pads. Dana will check in on you in the morning.

Hi Don~ your cartridges are over two years old, so it’s certainly possible that the Y chip has gone bad over time. We recommend getting a new set of cartridges every year for the best results.
Have you cleaned your printer’s capping station, wiper blade and bottom of the print head? If not, here is the link to see these and other helpful cleaning procedures demonstrated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUysQFDH6u0

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;61]Hi Don~ your cartridges are over two years old, so it’s certainly possible that the Y chip has gone bad over time. We recommend getting a new set of cartridges every year for the best results.
Have you cleaned your printer’s capping station, wiper blade and bottom of the print head? If not, here is the link to see these and other helpful cleaning procedures demonstrated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUysQFDH6u0[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dana and Jon. You folks are customer service champs! Good to hear the new InkThrift formulation is pending. I’m anxious to try them. I will get a chip resetter and sub in an Epson yellow chip in the meantime. I will probably also be ordering a waste ink external tank. Jon mentions cleaning the waste ink pads. I haven’t found instructions anywhere for how to dig down to them in a 1400. Can either of you point me to any? Also, Dana, I have indeed been following your excellent video instructions for cleaning the printer. Thanks!

That is what we strive for!
Actually, you can NOT use the chip from an Epson 1400/1430 cartridge (you can with most other models, but not this one), so will need a new cartridge/chip. Unfortunately, Epson designed the 1400/1430 cartridge chips so they will not work after being removed from the Epson cart.
I am glad to hear you are already familiar with our printer maintenance video, thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;66]That is what we strive for!
Actually, you can NOT use the chip from an Epson 1400/1430 cartridge (you can with most other models, but not this one), so will need a new cartridge/chip. Unfortunately, Epson designed the 1400/1430 cartridge chips so they will not work after being removed from the Epson cart.
I am glad to hear you are already familiar with our printer maintenance video, thanks for the feedback :)[/QUOTE]

… if I order a new set of cartridges, can I also use them with the new Inkthrift formulation when it arrives? i.e. will Inkthrift for 1400/1430 be available in bulk for refillable carts? Jon seems to indicate this up-thread but I just want to be sure. And will the Inkthrift inks for 1400/1430 require new profiles or will they be very close to OEM dyes in hue and intensity? No rush on the reply; enjoy your weekend first!

We are evaluating several dye options for the 1400/1430 to have an Ink-Thrift solution for Claria printer models, and expect to have that ink available very soon! So yes, you can certainly buy the carts to prepare for the ink release if you wish. As with Ink-Thrift inks for other printer models we support, we will provide a basic matte and glossy profile for the 1400 and 1430 when we release the inks, though you can also get great results using the standard Epson profiles.

Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile: