Leaky Cyan and Light-Cyan Carts?

Dear Dana,

Earlier this month I bought a set of Cone cartridges and inks (Order #: SO30740063) for an Epson Stylus R 2800. The printer is approximately three years old, used for an average of 3 prints per week and was working perfectly with Epson carts.

Read your instructions several times before installing Cone ink cartridges 1/17. I made sure that I gently shook ink bottles before filling, that each cartridge was filled with the correct ink and that all cartridges had chips securely mounted. All carts filled with no trouble except for cyan.
When I was slowly filling cyan cartridge, got about 5-6 mls of ink in when ink backed up and spilled over top and sides of cartridge. Could see no apparent obstruction. Gently tapped cart to release air and inserted ink to capacity. Replaced fill hole cap, tapped again, and removed air vent plug. Inserted cart. Waited 15 min, ran cleaning cycles and nozzle check. All heads printing but cyan. The Epson status monitor showed full ink levels on all the carts.

Removed cyan cart out to inspect/reseat and noticed cart was only roughly half full. Refilled, reseated, ran nozzle check. All heads printing but cyan.
Noticed new deposit of wet, fresh cyan and light-cyan inks on black sponge under paper rollers.

At this point I removed all ink carts, and capped and sealed them. I completed cleaning procedures as described in your video and used piezo flush to clean cyan and light cyan print heads. (This is the first time I have cleaned this printer).

I have read your FAQs and searched the forum for a solution. Can you help me this cartridge problem? Thanks in advance!
Cinda (Cust #C25145)

Here are images showing carts and wet ink.

Hi Cinda~

Thanks for the detailed information. I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing a cartridge issue.

Based on the info and photos you provided, it sounds like your C cartridge isn’t working correctly, and we will send you a replacement cart.
Is the LC printing correctly/fully on your nozzle check? Is the LC cartridge also leaking?

Please confirm so I can get this taken care of for you.
Thanks and best regards- Dana :slight_smile:

Hi Dana,
Thanks for your super-fast response.

The last check I ran showed a few missing lines in the light-cyan part of the nozzle check.

The first image below shows where the light cyan cart leaked out on the black foam at the bottom under the path of the print head (sorry don’t know the tech name for this), so I assume that the light-cyan cart is faulty as well as the cyan cart.

The second image shows how little cyan ink I have left after just trying to install, head-cleaning and nozzle checks. I never got to the point that I could print anything. All this leads me to ask if you might send me some replacement cyan ink as well as cyan and light-cyan carts?

Thanks for your help
Cinda

Thanks for the update Cinda~

Are you sure it’s LC ink in the first photo, had you removed the leaky C cartridge already?
Have you cleaned the printer’s capping station, wiper blade and bottom of the print head by following our instructions after removing the leaking C cartridge?

Please let me know, thanks- Dana

Hi Dana,
I’m pretty sure that its the light-cyan, but honestly I cant swear that the cyan cart was removed before I noticed the ink leak shown in image p4. I do remember getting the cyan cart out quickly once I thought it might be leaky. The smaller (light-cyan) leak happened after I’d moved the printhead carrier to the far left; it was in that position only a few minutes.

I have cleaned the capping station, wiper blade and bottom of the print head. Also, I used Piezo Flush with special cleaning cartridge to clean the cyan and light-cyan printheads.

Thanks again!
Cinda

Hi Cinda~

I checked inventory, and we don’t have single carts, so we’ll send you a full set of replacement carts.

Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Thanks so much, Dana!

You are very welcome Cinda! Please let me know how everything goes with the new carts, or if there’s anything else I can help you with.

Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

I believe this is related to our current testing of cartridges in older/used 2880 printers, please refer to this Post that houses links to all the other threads with the same concerns http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/showthread.php?1246-COMMON-THREAD-Older-2880-Printer-Cartridge-issues

I posted my findings/testing conclusions on this thread, closed it and added a new thread in the discussions to keep the discussions off the COMMON thread http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/showthread.php?1246-COMMON-THREAD-Older-2880-Printer-Cartridge-issues