Head Alignment - Change Paper Error

I recently acquired an Epson 4000. It had not been used for an undetermined amount of time. I installed a set of refillable cartridges and power cleaned with Piezoflush until all lines were clean and working. Since I am going to be using this printer for a specialized purpose, I only want to use Matte Black. I have tried to align the head using the procedures outlined in the manual, but just after running for a couple of minutes I get a “Change Paper Type” error message. The printer basically is “frozen” at that point. I only have Matte Black and Piezoflush in the printer when I am attempting the head alignment. Any suggestions?

Hi printsbylarry~

I haven’t used a 4000 in several years, but will try to help…
The 4000 has both MK and PK carts, and uses each depending on the Media Type setting selected when printing. I believe you can do an alignment in MK or PK mode, and don’t recall a paper selection in the adjustment menu… are you doing the alignment thru the Epson utilities on your computer, or directly from the printer’s control panel?
So, you have Matte Black ink in the MK channel and PiezoFlush in the other seven channels, or you have PiezoFlush in all 8 channels? Does your printer print anything, or give the error before printing the alignment pattern?

Best~ Dana

Dana,
Thanks for responding. I loaded some newer drivers and have been able to accomplish a head alignment in black by using the Epson utilities, however I still can not do the more advanced 3 step alignment that can be done directly from the printer’s control panel. I have had Matte Black ink in the MK channel and have been experiencing a slightly irregular pattern when doing a nozzle check. All 8 channels print when doing a nozzle check. The other channels show a crisper nozzle check pattern (obviously they are light because they are printing with the PiezoFlush instead of ink). I have done 3 power cleaning and a couple of regular cleaning after the nozzle check pattern printed. Most recently, I tried flushing the MK channel with the PiezoFlush (using the Quad Tone RIP) but am still experiencing some irregularity in the nozzle check and when I print text in a variety font sizes I see some stray ink dots next to the letters. Your thoughts on any of this are appreciated.
Larry

Hi Larry~

I’ve never attempted to do an alignment with PiezoFlush installed, so am not sure if or how well this will work. If you’re getting fuzzy or irregular nozzle check patterns, then I recommend cleaning the capping station, wiper blade and bottom of the print head- following our cleaning instructions, here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?133-Printer-Cleaning-and-Preventative-Maintenance

I hope this helps, best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Thanks. I give your suggestions a try and let you know the results.
Larry

Ok, I hope everything goes well- keep me posted.

Best~ Dana

Dana,
I carefully followed all the cleaning instructions. Since the manual cleaning, I have done two auto cleaning and a couple of regular cleanings (I have not done another power cleaning as I am running low on flush - almost through a second 700ml bottle). The nozzle check patterns looks improved but the Matte Black channel is still is showing slight imperfections. It is puzzling that when doing an auto cleaning the print out which show the rectangles that are printed during the auto cleaning cycle, are all solid - no gaps - in color (flush pink) but there a couple of boxes that show some ink spots/smears all occurring in the second to last set of boxes (reading left to right). The printer also shows a “nozzle still clogged” message on the printer screen. Any additional thoughts?
Larry

You can see a lot more about the health of a printer by printing the manual nozzle check, not to mention the printer will likely report “nozzles still clogged” because PiezoFlush is too light for it to detect.
You may need to replace the dampers and wiper blade to help bring the printer back to good print quality.

I just added a new article that I think may be helpful in your situation: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?167-Evaluate-a-Manual-Nozzle-Check-to-Determine-the-Health-of-Your-Printer

Best~ Dana

Dana,
Thanks for the info and article. I think I will try the damper/wiper route. Any suggestions on where one might buy dampers/wiper for the 4000 that are known to be reliable?
Regards,
Larry

We have dampers, here: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/it.A/id.5442/.f
I believe we also have wiper blades, but they may not be listed on our website (in which case, you can call or email Wells to check and place your order).

You will need the repair manual for instructions for replacing parts in your printer.

Best~ Dana

Dana,
Been away but finally got new dampers and replaced the matte black damper. Now I am having trouble getting that line to fill with flush/ink. Tried an initial “charge” and ran the QTR program for matte black but no luck? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Larry

Hi Larry~

We don’t offer instruction or support for printer repair, but have many years’ experience, so can often offer some advice based on our experience with different printer models.
Did you prime the damper with ink before reattaching the dampers to the head? I use a syringe to draw ink thru the line to fill/prime new dampers with ink, before attaching to the head. It’s also important the o-ring is in place between the ink line and damper, and plastic nut is threaded on straight for a good seal between the ink line and damper.

I hope this helps!
Best~ Dana :slight_smile:

Hi Dana,
I have been away for a couple of weeks but finally got some dampers and installed a new one for matte black. I have not been able to get the line to fill with flush or ink. I have tried an “initial fill,” using the QTR program for printing the matte black channel and a couple of cleaning cycles. None of these worked, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Larry

Hi Dana,
I finally got some new dampers and installed one in the matte black line. However, I can’t seem to get it to fill. I have tried an initial charge, a couple of basic cleaning cycles and using the QTR for the matte black channel with no results. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Regards,
Larry